Since moving to Australia in the early 1990’s and discovering the local Chicken Shops, I have never actually cooked a Roast Chicken in the oven! I have cooked chicken pieces but never a whole roast chicken! I found this easy recipe whilst channel surfing and watching a cooking show. It was so easy I decided to try it out and was amazed at the results!
Hints & Tips
- Best to check your chicken after the cooking time as every oven is different and the size of a chicken will vary! You may need to cook it for longer – 5 or 10 minute increments are best!
- DF, GF, SF.
- 1 Whole Chicken
- Bunches of Fresh Thyme
- Olive Oil
- 1 Whole Onion, Sliced in Half, Cross Ways (No Peeling Required)
- 1 Whole Head of Garlic, Sliced in Half, Cross Ways (No Peeling Required)
- 1 Lemon
- Root Vegetables of Your Choice (Optional)
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius
- In a deep roasting pan, drizzle olive oil on the base of the pan.
- Spread the thyme over the base of the pan.
- Place both halves of the onion and garlic on top of the thyme.
- Wash and dry the chicken with paper towel, making sure it is completely dry, inside and out.
- Stick the whole lemon into the cavity of the chicken.
- Place the chicken on top of the onion and garlic.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper all over the chicken.
- Drizzle with olive oil.
- Cook in the oven for 40 minutes.
- After 40 minutes, add in root vegetables such as potato, sweet potato, pumpkin or carrot around the chicken. This is optional.
- Cook for a further 40 minutes.
- Check the chicken thigh with a skewer to ensure it is cooked. If not, cook for a further 5-10 minutes and repeat the steps until cooked.
- Remove from the oven and cover with foil. Allow to rest for 15 minutes before serving.